Saturday, February 22, 2014

Driver’s Ed

In the area where I live, there is a road improvement plan that has been in place for a couple of years now. It’s the kind of plan that has a projected finish date of ten years in the future. As part of this major overhaul of our area, they are expanding a two-lane road to multiple lanes, and adding complex exits/entrances/intersections at the major crossroads.

One of these intersections happens to be on a regular route I take to get my child to preschool twice a week. I like to think of myself as a patient, forgiving, full-of-grace driver. I like to think that other people think that way of me, too. I like to live in a delusional world. As I was en route to preschool one morning, my attitude was less than patient and forgiving as I approached this section of the road. A car pulled up to the left of me and I was convinced that this car (driver), like many others that I have seen, was going to realize that the lane it was currently in morphed into a turn lane and he actually wanted to go straight. When that happened, inexorably said driver would cut in front of me at the last possible moment, and make me *gasp* brake! In all my wisdom and grace, I sped up to be neck and neck with the other car, and waited for the inevitable to happen.

Can you guess what happened? The driver signaled left, continued in the current lane (following the rules of the road) and onto the newly opened exit to the freeway. The driver of my car was left with a gaping mouth. At that moment, I realized that in my own mind I was thinking, “I’m going to teach this driver HOW TO DRIVE!” I’m pretty sure that God was thinking, “I’m going to let you know when it’s time for you to be the teacher, and when it’s time for you to be the student.” I couldn’t help but laugh at myself!

This just brought to mind all the verses about God being our teacher. Some of us are called to be teachers, but not all, and definitely in His timing and not ours. Psalm 28:9-10 (NASB) says, “Good and upright is the Lord; Therefore He instructs sinners in the way. He leads the humble in justice, And He teaches the humble His way.” I don’t know about being humble, but He definitely humbled me in that moment. The driver who got the education that day was me.

Jen Chang
loveSTRONG ministries
CCommunications/Technology Leader
www.lovestrongministries.com


No comments:

Post a Comment