Saturday, November 9, 2013

The Gospel for Anxious Women

The whole thing was so ridiculous I could hardly take my toddler seriously. My husband and I were bringing food from the kitchen to the table when she panicked that she wouldn’t get dinner.

I hollered over my shoulder, “Don’t worry sweetheart, we’ll bring you food.”

Tears burst out, “I wowwied, Mommy! I wowwied!”

Eventually she acknowledged that -- in theory -- we always feed her. But as soon as it was time for seconds she lost it again, “I need something to eat. Daddy’s going to eat it all gone!”

Later that night my husband remarked, “She really doesn’t believe we’re good.”

I began feeling uncomfortable. The incident made me laugh, but I knew that I was the punchline. I’m the ridiculous one who worries that God won’t give me bread.

As soon as anxiety comes up I shift my weight a bit looking for a more comfortable place to go. I know that it’s ridiculous. I can’t shake it.

“But,” someone will say, “the Bible tells us exactly what to do about anxiety!”

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

The guilt piles on because I have said all those magic words. I have said them with thanksgiving. They didn’t cast out my anxiety.

But the Bible is not a book of spells. It is a book about a Person. Before Paul tells us anything about anxiety he reminds us in verse 5, “The Lord is near.”

The Lord is near. Therefore, do not be anxious about anything.

Who is the Lord? What is he like? He is true. He is noble and pure. He is right. He is altogether lovely.

He is admirable. He is excellent. He is praiseworthy.

What do we do when thoughts of our kids or our marriage or our jobs are filled with anxiety? What do we do when it’s three in the morning and no matter how many times we flip over or how we arrange the covers our anxious thoughts linger?

The Psalmist writes, “On my bed I remember you, I think of you through the watches of the night” (Psalm 63:6).

The Lord is near. Remember Him. Has He promised to take care of His children? Has He promised to work evil for good? Tell yourself the story, the gospel story. He did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for you. After all that will He now withhold something that you need? Tell yourself what God is like. He is good. Think on these things.

Melissa McDonald
Author
www.thecrossandthekitchensink.com


No comments:

Post a Comment