Sunday, August 25, 2013

Don't just be content...

I consider myself a pretty content person, happily married to my best friend, blessed with 3 healthy children and surrounded by great family and friends. I recently had the opportunity to take part in an exercise about contentment which asked me to write down a list of my "needs" and a list of God's provisions. I'll be honest, at first it seemed so generic and so simple that I almost skipped the exercise completely. But being the type A, rule follower that I am, I couldn't just not do it! So I started my list and as I first predicted it was generic and simple, my list of "needs" had only a few things: food, shelter, clothing.

 Next as I began working on the list of God's provisions, I started writing the obvious things that God provides in contrast with my "needs." I started to write out the word food and as I did, I began to think of all the food God provides, all the amazing, yummy, nutritious food that He provides. He doesn't just provide me with food, He provides me with delicious, colorful, flavorful, delectable yumminess on a daily basis!! (By the way I'd like to give a special thank you to God for ice cream, oh yeah, and chocolate.) And now I was onto something - my list of God's provisions started to look and sound like a descriptive thank you letter, thanking Him for not only my "shelter" but my beautiful, comfortable house. Thanking Him for not only my "clothing" but for the all the fun fashion I get to shop for and wear!

I don't have the biggest house, biggest budget, or fanciest clothes, but I was able to see His provisions in a whole new way with not only a content heart but a thankful heart overflowing with gratitude.

I encourage you to make your own list of your needs and of God’s provisions. The list may reveal a reaffirmed content, thankful heart.
Or
Are there areas where you struggle trying to keep up with societies expectations rather than God’s? new car, new house, more money…

Here are a few scriptures that I turn to when I get that feeling of discontentment that we all feel at times, I pray they encourage you!!

My God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19 

Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have, for God said “I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.” Hebrews 13:5

I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content, whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:11-13

Michelle Brott
Writer


No comments:

Post a Comment